Friday, March 1, 2013

2013 Legumes

With my latest addition of fifty-six feet of vertical length garden space I decided to try out several new bean and pea varieties this year. I have a few more, not listed but I think this is probably enough. I am hoping for a decent pea and bean harvest that will allow us to put up some for the colder months. I’m worried that my soil won’t be up to snuff here as this is the first planting year for this area and it is not being done in a raised bed. I have heavily amended the soil but drainage my still be an issue.  I guess time will tell. 

I opted to skip the description for each of these as most of them are pretty much the same.  Peas are pretty much peas, some are better for freezing (Green Arrow) and others are best for fresh eating (Sugar Snap)- but then that’s a pretty subjective thing anyway. I think the same thing goes for the beans.  All but the Dark Seeded Early Perfection Peas are Heirloom.
I managed to get the ground prepped and the second round of peas planted this afternoon. I’ll be posting soon on that process. I’m pretty happy with the results so far! The best part? It was really cheap!


Sugar Snap Peas



Dark Seeded Early Perfection




Little Marvel Peas



Green Arrow Peas



Contender Bush Bean



Blue Lake Bush Bean



Cherokee Trail of Tears Pole Beans



McCaslan Pole Bean


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Free Website templatesfreethemes4all.comLast NewsFree CMS TemplatesFree CSS TemplatesFree Soccer VideosFree Wordpress ThemesFree Web Templates