Monday, February 18, 2013

Seed Starting

When I first begun gardening I scoured every blog that I could find for advise. It all seemed so overwhelming. I knew that I if I was going to be able to start the volume of seeds that I wanted that I wouldn’t be able to afford to purchase the pricey seed starting mixes that are so popular these days. I wanted something that would be both economical and healthy for my seeds. Oh, and I didn’t want to spend too much.

I don’t want much, do I?

Everyone has their own method and their own s0il philosophy. This is just what has worked for me so far. If you have any other suggestions or ideas I would love to hear them.

When I first start my seeds I start them in a straight up mix of Vermiculite and Peat Moss. Many people add Perlite or worm castings to the mix (and there is nothing wrong with doing that), but personally, I haven’t found it necessary. I wet my mix so that it holds together loosely when squeezed and I fill the cell trays from a large silver bowl I have. This allows me the ability to seed while sitting on my couch. Someday I’ll have a planting table, until then, a couple of trash bags on my coffee table and an abundance of caution work just fine for me, thankyouverymuch.

Dirt

I put seeds to soil according to whatever the particular recommendations are for the plant, give it a topping of water (using a medicine dropper so as not to displace the seeds too much), and then I place it on a heat mat (if available) under my grow lights out in my garage. I leave them covered until they germinate and then remove the cover and turn the grow lights on (until they germinate they prefer darkness).

 Grow Lights

When the first true set of leaves appear I give them a little drink of fish emulsion fertilizer at 50% and turn on a small breeze fan at the end of the shelf to provide a little air movement and encourage the seedlings to grow muscles.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Free Website templatesfreethemes4all.comLast NewsFree CMS TemplatesFree CSS TemplatesFree Soccer VideosFree Wordpress ThemesFree Web Templates